There are four essential ingredients we associate milk tea with: milk, sugar, boba, and tea.
Tea makes for a great sweet drink, but if you’re like me and don’t prefer to indulge in caffeine everyday, or if you’re lazy, and if you’re not lactose intolerant, I have the perfect drink for you! 😀
Iced milk, a rising star in the world of bubble tea, is a refreshing, caffeine-free, and kid-friendly alternative to milk tea. Popularized by SoCal’s boba chain, Half & Half, iced milk is exactly what it sounds like, plus some upgrades here and there. I’ve had several different versions. The one we’ll be making today is inspired by Teasociety’s House Iced Milk, but better. It’s rich and sophisticatedly smoky, bearing notes that remind you of a good cup of latte.
We make a burnt caramel sauce from scratch to give those effects. Let me tell you, when we first made this, we thought we found heaven. The best thing about making this sauce is the leftovers can be used to quickly whip up this drink every day after, and can even serve as a topping to a bunch of other drinks and desserts such as ice creams and baked goods.
To top it all off we’ll be adding honey boba and Vietnamese flan – a replacement for the standard egg pudding typically available in bubble tea shops. Bet you’ll get as addicted to this as we are!
Ready to boba?
Caramel Iced Milk
- Honey boba .25 cup see how to make honey boba here
- Vietnamese flan 4 ounces see how to make Vietnamese flan here
- Milk (I drink whole) 2 cups
- White sugar 1 cups
- Water .25 cup
- Heavy whipping cream .5 cups
- Unsalted butter 2 tablespoons
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, cook the sugar and water for about 10-12 minutes, until the color is a deep amber color. The times I made this best was when I thought the sugar was burning almost past the point of revival.
- In the meantime, heat the heavy cream either in the microwave or on the stove until it is warm.
- When the sugar and water is ready, pour in the cream a little at a time while stirring. The mixture will bubble up every time you add cream, so stir until it is smooth before adding more.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter until melted.
- Add 3 tablespoons of caramel sauce to a serving cup.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Top with honey boba and egg pudding.
- Add ice to your liking.
Note: We link to products on Amazon.com as Amazon Associates. We may receive a portion of the proceeds from your purchases of any items linked, which helps us pay for operating costs of this website.